Restoration of an old R250 USSR receiver

(Military) Radio , decoding , SWL listening , Amateur , HAM ..radio in general
Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Restoration of an old R250 USSR receiver

Post by Heinrich » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:10 am

Rough resto of a relic that has a great name i n the east but is hardly known in the west..
Pity he painted it green , the russian version supposed to be grey hammerite paint .. the NVA/DDR types with a blackened front..
None the less..a 250 is a great receiver .. but with over 90 kg !! weight far from portable :salute:
Great this one is saved from the scrapheap too many already went to...

Busy getting one as well .. a R250 M2 type from the seventies(??) with a East German NVA origine ..prolly shitload of work in it too..
yet i would still like one :thinking (For... ermm.. historic purposes as the amateur counterpart of our western tube/valve radios :drink: )
Will make some pics once it has arrived .. but right now its the weight causing some probs getting it here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDhCHdZgRZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGJam7u0O0

Looking how he hooked up a 220v electra splitwire for an aerial makes me grin ..yet the set already receives like mad .. :thinking
(Edit .. i thought wrong lol thats the speaker wire...aerial entry is on the back !!! awwwww)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpVlk3-Vq60

Fook digital , DSP and IC's grin !!! :Inquisition: ( yes ..I still prefer em good ole historic tubegear on the 'reinforced' shelf ..)
Regards :
Henk

Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Re: Restauration of an old R250 USSR receiver

Post by Heinrich » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:14 am

some more vids of the r-250 'Kit' in use ..(kit = whale :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmgKse ... qI&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PyQPV ... qI&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5CdRNL ... 5_f-PGVqqI

No idea how much work i will have on mine ..its been barn stored since the late eighties ..and it shows from the pics ive seen :duh:
At least its complete , including the interconnection cables , the PSA etc.. but no idea what to expect of its internal state really..
Parts arent that big a problem :thinking

If someone can help me with a copy of NVA DV 44/51 would be very happy .. seems its a full manual for the set in german
(Thats the DDR east german NVA manual for it wich roulates in hardcopy as well as in PDF ..)
Have a deal ..but the waiting is on its 'transport' as the set has to come from the far other end of the Netherlands ..
Regards :
Henk

Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Re: Restauration of an old R250 USSR receiver

Post by Heinrich » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Took awhile ...but received my Proton R-250 'KIT"this morning .. and its not a Mark 2 but a first type with all steel tubes inside ..
Been 30 years in a shed ..not used ,dirty from dust ..no idea in what state it would be when i would get it ..as its no guarantee and totally untested.. Well..im shocked ... after fiddling with it what an amazing piece of kit it really is !! WOW describes it best.

The power supply still had its military plugs wich could not just be switched to a 220v euro mains plug withouth also changing the whole cable ..
These cables are made from a natural rubber , they survived the time very well unlike the rubber british ww2 and 50ies sets have ..but the internal wire insulation got totally vulcanised with the outside ..cutting the whole mains feed cable the only option so i replaced it with a modern PVC 220v cable now ..
Weird issue was the 4 pin plug wich could never have worked on the supply as it was wired wrong as it came ???
(prolly came from a newer type r250 ?? dunno..)

Anyway ..after slowly giving it some juice to reformat the caps the PS was ready for use..
The radio itself looks as good as new on the inside ..no oxidation , brand new tubes with varying part-stamps from 1942 up to 1952 , same goes for the caps in there ..my estimate is the set is from around 1952 or 1953?? All early 50ies ..so its a very early one .

Opened the two drawers of the cabinet , took all tubes out to ensure all have good pin contact , checked state of all its rubber seals wich also looked very good and took the little dust there was inside out .. amazing again .. previous Russians sets often were like 'salted' on the inside from huge oxidation everywhere.. this ole girl has none ?? hmm..okay .. nice surprise..
Like with the powersupply I slowly added more volts to recondition its caps and it came to live ..pfeehwww ..life after a very long coma !!

Then the puzzle began.. how to operate the thing ? Have no manuals of it ..inside all cyrillic ..outside unfamiliar 'german' descriptions ?? hmmm
Took a while before we figured out the right aerial inputs ..but no matter how we tried..just lotta noise from the speaker but no audible stations were to be tuned..yet all functions seemed okay.??? Hmmmm...
Did notice it seemed very much oversteered.. and after my friend left for dinner I sat for it and figured it out .. its fully functional now ,

The set is incredibly senstive ..so much even one has to keep all settings very very low to get a audible and decent signal out .. made the mistake to connect a way too low ohms speaker to it ..after i put a 600 ohm one one things went fast downhill lol ..
Absolutely love it .. its crisp . and very clear in reception ..just operates quite different from other sets ive run.

if you can get your hands on one my advise is dont think about the size nor the weight..just buy it.. you wont be disappointed!!
Got mine for a steal .. yes a gamble if 'it' would ever work again .. but if youre into into historic gear youll love this one ..the 'Whale' rocks !

Runs from 1.5 mhz to 24.5mhz , no 11 or 10 metres... AM/CW and through the BFO >> SSB
Filters are a bit different as western sets generally have aboard but for amateur use the 'Kit/whale' is well useable .. its sound is great , very deep !

Its a black fronted DDR one with german markings , and indeed former STASI .. now if it could only tell its own history ... you bet it has a 'wow' story behind it .

Regards :
Henk