Amateur Antennas Of Note

(Military) Radio , decoding , SWL listening , Amateur , HAM ..radio in general
Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Amateur Antennas Of Note

Post by Sniper1946 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:45 am

I cant believe you havn't considered one of these monsters henk... ;)
http://www.qsl.net/f5vby/Antennas.htm

OTHER PAGES OF INTEREST

Useful Links

Equipment Pictures

Amplifiers

Ham Antennas

Unusual Items

Antenna & Tower installation

Sale item
Main site: http://www.qsl.net/f5vby/Page-index.htm

Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Re: Amateur Antennas Of Note

Post by Heinrich » Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am

i have..actually :P
Problem is three things with beams or log per's ..the sheer size , the need for a decent mast and the costs ...
Plus the additional necessary paperwork..with council for environment permit /construction permit..the housing corp ..for the placing permits ..and offcourse neighbours who nowadays think aerials give em cancer .. etc ..too many ignorance all around im afraid ..too much fear as well.
So I chose a simple wire dipole.. wich i cant get resonant in all bands because its not hung high enough grrr.. (roof reflections) :rain:

A decent 40 to 10 beam like a SteppIR or a Optibeam will be a 1400/2200 euros..a decent rotor to move it around will be a 700 eu .. than the mast itself .. awww

the optibeam would be magnificent though ..awesome kit !!!
Regards :
Henk

Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Sniper1946 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

Serious money henk, and would you need planning permission too?

Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Heinrich » Fri May 22, 2015 9:47 am

yes..above 5meter above roof .. horizontal no limitation .. my problem would be creating 2 more supports .. these dont need to be higher as those 5meters..but need drilling in wall etc ..no doubt corporation wont allow that ..Plan is now to get a large size sat disk support wich can be weighted with concrete tiles and use that to put up a second pole so i can hang my dipole like that .. Using warer filled parasol feet right now ..but those cant hold more than a 1.20 small pole withouth toppling over i the wind..
theres one point to attach one side right now..a huge chimney ..just need a second raised attach point ..and tune the different traps in the aerial as it is ..works on 40 and 15 right now..20,10 and 80 are not resonant yet..not even using a tuner.
Previous owner cut off too much of the rat tails that are thereto tune the different wire sections..can easily fix that re-adding a bit of wire to those tails and recut em at the right SWR . Another temp option may be a endfed single wire ..i dont like that though as its prone to causing TVI...

tried a QSO to upper part of Norway .. received me 9/5 so it does work a bit , even only 1m20 above the roof :)
Regards :
Henk

Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Sniper1946 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:02 am

Found this pdf henk... Antenna Height and Communications Effectiveness

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/antplnr.pdf

Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Sniper1946 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 am

$4.00 Ham Radio Satellite Antenna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_XwvMmIro

Ham Radio 2m Backpack Quad Antenna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAiilzV8NpI

Heinrich
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Heinrich » Fri May 22, 2015 10:28 am

Antenna height .. for the groundwave comms thats an issue..for long range DX doesnt matter much as its the radiating angle thats important..
But with SW areals the distance to ground is important for the reflections/SWR .. the higher a wire aerial is from the ground the better the standing waves ratio in general..half a wave or higher above the ground would give the best radiation of input energy ..because my wire is too close to roof it gets a too high SWR .. i think when its above 4meters from roof it will be fine already :) HF is a very different ballgame as VHF/UHF SHF ..right now DX is easier than hearing the 'locals' on HF ..i hear UK and DE much louder as i can hear my fellow Dutch :)

Have a small 25 cm high homebrew whip on a magnet foot on the balcony for VHF/UHF ..works well enough to hear and open all nearby repeaters giving me a range of all of Holland .. not even going to bother for a roof aerial for that ...

The ARRL article is the kind of stuff you need to learn for the licence .. interesting stuff ..glad i learned most of that already experimenting years ago .. helped me a lot in getting the license :) A lot of question were about angles of radiation and propagations ... after waking up the first i do is turn on a receiver to hear what the day will bring..in general can tell already from what i hear what the days weather will be like :)
Regards :
Henk

Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Post by Sniper1946 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:04 am

Fair enough, god knows I wouldn't have a clue henk... :D

Ham radio antenna hints and tips

- some essential hints and tips for radio amateurs or radio hams about deciding upon how to install the best radio antenna or aerial for operating on the amateur radio bands.

A radio antenna is the crucial link in any receiving or transmitting station whether it is used for ham radio, short wave listening, or for commercial or professional use. The overall performance of the radio station depends upon the performance of the radio antenna. A good radio antenna will enable the performance of the whole radio communications station to be maximised, whereas a poor antenna will degrade the capabilities of the transmitter and receiver regardless of how good they are.

Radio stations used for professional or commercial applications have a large degree of flexibility and they will site antennas where they will give a suitable level of performance. However for ham radio enthusiasts and short wave listeners it is necessary to install the best antenna around the house. Very few ham radio operators are able to utilise a field or other large area, and often the radio antenna will be something of a compromise. Nevertheless, by following a few guidelines, it is possible to make the best of any radio antenna installation and ensure that its performance is as good as it possibly can be. In addition to this it is worth mentioning that it is usually necessary to undertake some experimentation to find out what type of radio antenna works best for a given location and style of radio operation.

Some hints and tips are given below, but these can only be general guidelines, and they are not exhaustive. However they form a good starting place when thinking of installing a ham radio antenna system
Read more: http://www.electronics-radio.com/articl ... s-tips.php