Playing World War II: Photographing an Ultra-Realistic Reenactment

A special forum concearning everything about reenacting
Sniper1946
Generalleutnant
Generalleutnant

Playing World War II: Photographing an Ultra-Realistic Reenactment

Post by Sniper1946 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am

Have you ever wondered what World War II was like? Last month I got a little closer.

I was one of three photographers invited to cover a semi-live fire reenactment. There were times everything looked very real and other times it looked like a bunch of older kids in the woods playing war.

It started one night last year when I went to a singles party at my friend Tim’s house. No one else showed up. I forgot what he said but he put a VHS tape into his VCR and hit play.

He had told me about his World War II reenactment group but I had no idea how big it was. The tape was more than a few years old but described an annual weekend where fellow World War II reenactors, drawn together by this historical fascination, engage in battle in the woods of Eastern Missouri. He invited me to go and I said what we say these days when we aren’t sure… “I might go” or “that looks good I’ll have to see.”

Fast-forward to March 25, 2017. The event is called “Weldonkrieg” and is a private WWII tactical battle weekend. Since the event is private and has the permission of the US Army Reserve Training station in Weldon Spring, MO they can engage in a semi-real battle using movie-blanks for ammunition. It only takes one battle to be able to ID friend-or-foe by the sound of the weapon.
Read more: https://petapixel.com/2017/04/24/playin ... enactment/